Stephanie is one of Pipeline’s newest employees, and with her came a wealth of SEO knowledge. We picked her brain and got some new insight on SEO and how to improve our search engine rankings.
SEO can be complicated to wrap your head around, so we are thankful to have her on our team. We thought it would be helpful to share some of her expertise with you as well. Keep reading and learn something new!
Q. “What is SEO in your own words?”
A. “An easy way to put it is—SEO is making your website organically searchable on search engines. It means following the rules and guidelines that Google gives you.”
Q. “What do people not know about SEO”?
A. SEO is always changing. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- “It’s a process. It’s not like you just implement something and the next day you’ll be higher in the search rankings. It’s Google’s job to decide how to rank you.”
- “SEO used to be something that companies would do to get their website to rank above their competition . . . but now you have to participate to even begin to compete. It’s not just a way to stay ahead of the curve. You have to use it to market your business. It used to be easy to rank higher, but not anymore now that everyone is in the game.”
- “Your website can get hit with penalties. Back in the day, you could do black hat stuff like stuffing keywords into articles or websites that would link to unrelated content. Now, Google is very particular. If you link to something, it better have something to do with the company. If you get hit by a penalty, Google will drop you lower down the search findings. You have to follow the rules now. A lot of people are trying to trick Google, and think it’s okay because they haven’t been caught yet.”
- “People don’t know what others are actually searching for in Google. People think they can just include certain keywords in an article that they think is important and that will do the trick. There is a lot more to it than that.”
Take a look at Google Trends to see some current popular searches.
3. Q. “Last thing . . .What are the most important things businesses can do to be more visible online?”
A. “Keeping in mind that there isn’t a silver bullet for perfect SEO, there are a few things that you can do to help your search engine rankings like
- creating a blog and publishing to it on a regular basis with content that pertains to your industry,
- adding the correct metadata to every page,
- making sure your Google My Business account has correct business info. and is verified. Here’s a complete guide on how to verify your Google listing.
- and building a strong social media presence and maintaining regular, engaging posts. See 10 Easy Ways to Step Up Your Social Media Game in 2017.”
Contact Stephanie Parson at (678) 814-4601 or Stephanie@PipelineSocialMedia.com for more information on how Pipeline can help you achieve your business goals.
Pipeline Social Media is a social media marketing agency that offers three approaches to help you increase your social media presence: we can fully manage your social media accounts, we can teach your team how to do it in-house, or we can monitor/coach your team along the way and report back to you. Ask us about our Google AdWords management and SEO website packages.
Social Media Community Manager
Pipeline Social Media